edit 

Monday, March 27, 2006

I hate coincidences

Well it wasn't the ram, the laptop started throwing fits again.. So I backed up and filed another service request, they said they'd be here today (Monday) But on Sunday I got ticked off, the unit wouldn't turn on, and it had the demo of roller coaster tycoon 3 in it, and being on dialup, I couldn't just download it again.. So I started taking out my anger on the laptop.

Luck assisted me in locating a spot where a hit actually made it work... So I got the rct3 demo copied out, tried it, then went back to the laptop which had... stayed on?..

The fact that it had stayed on for the whole time I had been playing rct3 on dads computer surprised me, so I ripped it apart and began investigating the area that I had hit.. Sure enough I found a couple of bits that could have shorted stuff out. One bit looked like a strand out of a stranded wire, and then on a chip the pins were bridged by some kind of thick dust.. I cleared that out and for the first time in 2 months, the laptop stayed on overnight, in fact its up to 17 hrs right now. Tomorrow night I intend to rip it apart again and do more thorough checks on that area.. but for now, I'm just happy its working.. And I fixed it myself! I cancelled the service request this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home